Guestbook

The Von Cello Guestbook is unlike any other! Join the fun! But you must register to post. No spam allowed! Click here for old monthly archives. You can also search using the search button, or reading the back posts listed below.

  Hello Visitor
Register | Login
Von Cello 

Post No. 2304
12/26/2008 09:34 AM
  
Comments (0)
Just the facts maam, just the facts.

Steve wrote: you are not objective as you are a jew

The thing I like about you is you are willing to talk. I wish we had more people involved in these discussions. But I must object to your analysis.

One of the best books I ever saw that explains the amazing fulfillment of Torah prophecies was written by a Christian Minister. His book was called, "Evidence That Demands a Verdict". He was certainly not a Jew yet he was able to be objective and admit that the Torah made several extremely unlikely prophecies and they came true. In the part of his book dealing with the New Testament he didn't have anything to match the "Old Testament", but because he believes the "old" one leads to the "new" one, he felt that the Torah prophecies were also something that Christians should be proud of too.

Steve wrote: the protestant also sees his religion as full of truth fact .a baby born with no father,a dead man disappears..to the protestant this is fact.

Facts are not subjective. You can't say to me the earth goes around the sun, but to him the sun goes around the earth. Either the earth goes around the sun or it doesn't. This is a fact.

In the case of Jesus being born of a virgin or rising from the dead these are not facts. There is no proof whatsoever for these things. A Christian will readily admit this. They will tell you that they have faith. It's all about faith, not facts.

But Judaism is different. Judaism is unique in the way it has many verifiable facts included in its knowledge base. The Jews were evicted en masse from Israel. This is a fact. The Jews did regain control of Israel in 1948. This is a fact. Do you deny this fact? Do you "believe" the Jews are still without a homeland? If so, then you would be delusional. But can you say the same of the virgin birth? Where is the proof?

I went to Israel. I saw with my own eyes that it is a Jewish country. I read in the papers day after day about how it is a Jewish state and how its leaders did this or that. Did you ever see a virgin give birth? Did you ever see someone rise from the dead? These are not facts. These are beliefs.

People have the right to believe things. People have the right to have faith. But do not confuse beliefs and faith with an observation of facts. Otherwise, not only could you never become a police man, but you would never be allowed to sit on a jury.
canarsie 

Post No. 2303
12/26/2008 01:29 AM
  
Comments (0)

. VC wrote...am talking about objective facts that anyone who is willing

you are not objective as you are a jew and by coincidence your religion that you really dont practice and your land of israel where you dont live ,you see as true with your objective eyes.
the protestant also sees his religion as full of truth fact .a baby born with no father,a dead man disappears..to the protestant this is fact.

yes you know many nonjews who studied judaism and torah and converted to judaism and there are jews 4 jesus as well.

theres torah prophecy ,theres a deadman who disappeared..all facts?

anyway i got a some facts as well. its a fact i got a great bluetooth headset from santey. My wife got a bodyshop basket and macbook. we gave my old mom in law an ipod prefilled with spanish music she loves..
5th candel and my kids really love this secular ceremony of menorah lighting. we did it via webconference with my cousins in jersey..
love to all.

i remember these jewishtype talks when i was living in haifa on the navybase in 82.moshe sais we gotta pray and shoshana said shed take an uzi anyday.
Von Cello 

Post No. 2302
12/25/2008 09:23 PM
  
Comments (0)
Winning is not the point

Canarsie wrote: "i dont think the jews won back israel . we are back and thats great but won ? we went to battle and got it back ? we were slaughtered and the world wanted us out so they sent us back to our original homeland thinking the arabs would kill us."

Who said anything about winning it back? The point is the Torah said the Jews would be exiled. In fact, it said the Jews would be exiled to the four corners of the earth. This came true. There are Jews almost everywhere. It also said that they would be persecuted wherever they went, and this also came true. It also said that even with this persecution they would never cease to be a people and eventually they would be gathered from the four corners of the earth and returned to their land. This prophecy is so unlikely that it was more like impossible. Yet it came true. Nowhere does the prophecy say the Jews would "win" back Israel. It just says that somehow they would return.

In fact, according to the Talmud, when the Jews were exiled by the Romans they made a deal with God that they would never try to get Israel back by force. That is why there never was any attempt by the Jews to form an army, like the crusaders, and go back to Israel with arms to conquer it. No, the Jews waited for God to make it happen. And guess what, because of the Holocaust the world was brought to sympathy for the Jews and without lifting a sword, or firing a gun, the Jews were given Israel back by the United Nations. That is what makes this all the more miraculous!

Canarsie wrote: "the jew sees his as right and the protestant sees his as right."

I am not talking about this one sees his as right and that one sees his as right. I am talking about objective facts that anyone who is willing to look with clear eyes can see. Did the Torah say the Jews would be exiled? Yes. Did they get exiled? Yes. Did the Torah say they would be returned? Yes. Did they get returned? Yes.

Why is it so hard for so many people to just admit the obvious truth?

As to the Protestants, if they want to believe in Jesus that is fine. But my point is that they do not have anything like the Torah where prophecies are made and fulfilled in a clear and obvious way that anyone can see. In fact, they have no prophecies at all except for things that are supposed to happen at the end of time. So until we get to "the end" we can never know if the prophecies are true. But in the Jewish Bible there are prophecies that have come true. I know most people do not want to admit it, but this is a fact. If I never even heard of the Jews I would still have to admit that this weird book made very specific, easy to understand predictions, and they did in fact come true. The very fact that so many people have a problem with this demonstrates to me that people have a hard time dealing with the truth. They prefer to believe that Santa is flying around with reindeer delivering presents, but ignore or deny the very real miracles that witness to the extraordinary nature of the Bible and the Jewish faith.
canarsie 

Post No. 2301
12/25/2008 02:59 PM
  
Comments (0)
paternity

proof of jewish religion is far from proof of paternity based on dna.i dont think the jews won back israel . we are back and thats great but won ? we went to battle and got it back ? we were slaughtered and the world wanted us out so they sent us back to our original homeland thinking the arabs would kill us.its hard to enter the facts of every religion to see how they are true.its only possible to be in 1. the jew sees his as right and the protestant sees his as right.
anyway happy hanukkah from murcia spain.
Von Cello 

Post No. 2300
12/25/2008 12:37 PM
  
Comments (0)
Prove it!

Remember when we were kids in Canarsie? If someone made some kind of claim, there was always another kid who would say, "Prove it!"

In my book, Beyond Faith, I contend that there is evidence that Judaism is true. Just to take one example, the Torah says that the Jews would conquer Israel, and then they did! We are so used to this story that that does not seem amazing, but it really is. Here was a group of slaves that had somehow gotten free from the massive power known as Egypt. They spend decades wandering around in the desert. Then their leader gave them a book that said that they would conquer Israel. What was the likelihood that they would succeed? Yet they did!

The Torah went further, saying that they would be exiled off the land. How likely was that? Did the Greeks get exiled off of their land? Did the Assyrians, the Egyptians? Who gets exiled off of their land? Yet this weird book said the Jews would, and they did!

But the Torah went further, saying that they would get the land back. And they did! How likely is that?

But the Torah goes further, saying they would be exiled again. And they were! And it said that they would come back again. And they did in 1948, after 2,000 years!

Anyway you look at it, this is a very unusual scenario ... a book that made absolutely incredible predictions with virtually no likelihood of success, yet ended up with 100% success. There is nothing to compare with this. And this is but one example of hundreds that show the Torah to be an extraordinary book.

What is predicted in the New Testament or the Koran? Is there anything that even remotely resembles the prophecies of the Jewish Bible?

So, it is not from any ego or chauvinism that I say that Judaism is different than other religions. It is the only religion that has enough evidence to make it a rational act to believe in it. The other religions must be accepted purely by faith without any proof whatsoever. They are like Santa Claus. But believing in Judaism is like believing in Science. Even in science we can't prove most things beyond a shadow of a doubt, but we can amass evidence and make a rational decision.

Does this mean that I believe in the "miracle" of Chanukah that one day's oil burned for eight days? No! There is no proof of that particular claim. But do I think one can believe in God, or Hashem as you called Him, by reason, I would say yes! I know some people do not like the idea that one religion actually is more logical and rational to believe in than another, but it seems clear to me that that is just the way the evidence falls.

canarsie 

Post No. 2299
12/25/2008 02:10 AM
  
Comments (0)
ho home hold on house hope hot ho ho

you have defines religion folklore and myth very well here..
santa god jesus hashem fred flintstonw all blend into the soup of things we do without proof..wen u sneeze we say god bless you
people who dont believe have jewish weddings to make their parents happy.they babtize to make gramma happy. menorahs cause thats to put the jew into our kids cause we know its goyish outside.
santa is fun.it makes us happy.and is a marketers dream.no jewish religious symbol comes close to this feeling.placebo yes like masterbating it feels great but is make believe...
ps im close to locating helene gorelick in facebook
Von Cello 

Post No. 2298
12/24/2008 06:47 PM
  
Comments (0)
Universal

Of course Santa can be symbolic of anyone (Christian or not) who believes unproven things or goes through the motions of belief even when they know the truth.
Von Cello 

Post No. 2297
12/24/2008 11:59 AM
  
Comments (0)
Ho Ho Ho

canarsie 

Post No. 2296
12/24/2008 09:50 AM
  
Comments (0)

saint nik will be here in 7 hours. hes already in some cities where its past midnight. in other places he never comes.
ive asked him for a cordless headset for using skype.my 11 yr old asked for a pc. my wife wants peace on earth and a macbook.sara my girl jus wants her two front ..........
Von Cello 

Post No. 2295
12/22/2008 02:09 PM
  
Comments (0)
Rainbow Swastika

I've been reading from that site that LN mentioned, the Rainbow Swastika. It is long and involved, but if you really want to expand your mind it is a great thing to try to wrap your head around. I knew that Hitler was involved in the occult and that his Jew hatred was inherited, but I did not know the extent of the mythology that sees the Jews as the impediment to a brighter future of a "New Humanity", sometimes called a "New World Order". But there are those who want to erase the whole mindset that began with the Jews and moved to the Christians. They want to "free" man from the "shakles" of concience and morality (which they see as a Jewish invention). It really makes you think about who we really are and what we are supposed to do.
canarsie 

Post No. 2294
12/22/2008 01:44 PM
  
Comments (0)
kosher ham, putting a coin on the grave

ive seen jews eating k ham in a kibbutz in israel and in spain goys put coins on the tomb just like we put stones.

i recall the israeli jews even designing their us mafia with terms like rabbi for godfather..

i guess out of israel we see how our people really are very lost on jus wat we are and in israel u can see a real jewish world
Von Cello 

Post No. 2293
12/21/2008 10:21 PM
  
Comments (0)
Jews behaving like Christians!

http://www.craignco.com/lights/video.html

Happy Chanukah!
Von Cello 

Post No. 2292
12/21/2008 05:57 PM
  
Comments (0)
Festival of Lights

I just lit the first candle for Chanukah, and I realized that Chanukah is known as the festival of lights. So actually the whole idea of lights at this time was originally a Jewish idea. Probably years ago the Christians saw our menorahs in the windows and felt jealous. Their kids said, "How come the Jewish kids have candles and we don't?" So some enterprising Christian (or maybe it was a Jew) came up with the idea of Christians putting electric lights all over their houses. Now the Jewish kids are jealous when they see all the Christian lights so now there are even Chanukah lights. I've seen Jews now decorating their homes with blue and white lights, the color of the Israeli flag. I've seen giant electric dreidles in lawns. What will they think of next? No wonder the Muslims want to get into the act! What about the atheists? What can they do? How about black lights? Yes, spread a little darkness!
Von Cello 

Post No. 2291
12/21/2008 04:01 PM
  
Comments (0)
Growing, growing, growing...

You are right. Chanukah is a minor Jewish holiday that has grown in importance in response to Christmas. But then again, Christmas has also grown and grown. It is now a multi-national business that generates billions of dollars. So if it has grown, why shouldn't Chanukah? Next you'll see Ramadan growing. In fact, I just read in my local paper that a local Muslim got one of the towns to include a crescent along with the Christmas tree and Chanukah menorah in the town square. Muslim holidays move all around the calendar so Ramadan is not even a December holiday. Yet here we go...

Will there be Ramadan songs on the radio? A Ramadan Santa? "On the first day of Ramadan my true love gave to me..."
canarsie 

Post No. 2290
12/21/2008 03:20 PM
  
Comments (0)
hannukah really important

i kno its a j holiday but history says it really wasnt so big a deal until jews were out of house in exile in goy countries and xmas was everywhere.
to counter and distract we upped its importance to counter xmas as our kids wanted a holiday at that time too. we created a fantasy as americans have done with thanksgiving..we took a one liner and wrote a movie around it so we could feel equal at xmas time. if xmas were in july then hanuka today would be like any other of the many j holidays,did we increase its import because we were sik of seeing all the fun they had while we had nothing in december?
are we playing their game by celebrating ours on top of theits??
.is this true ??

why is this hanuka so much more celebrated than rosh ha shona passover yom hatsmaut and yom kippur.
only the jews would celebrate such a bargain..you buy oil for a few days and it lasts 8 days.. we celebrate this bargain..i guess as jews we kvell at such savings
Von Cello 

Post No. 2289
12/21/2008 01:27 AM
  
Comments (0)
Satan!!!!!

I did a google search on Satan Judaism and this excellent explanation was on the first page:

The Hebrew word "Satan" means "Hinderer." To hinder someone means to hold him back, to try to prevent him from doing something. G-d created the Hinderer to give us work to do in this world (see my article Why did G-d Create the World?). Satan is here to make things difficult for us, so we can overcome our evil temptations, and PASS the test. That is the purpose of Satan. Satan is an angel whose purpose has been determined by G-d.

Temptation is there to try and deter us. It gives us the ability to do the wrong thing. More importantly, it gives us the ability to look at evil and refuse to do it. By presenting us with the opportunity to do evil, it gives us the ability to choose between good and evil.

The ability to choose between good and evil is what gives us free will. (See my article On the Nature of Free Will.

So, in order for us to work for the good that Hashem wants to give us, the good of the World to Come, we need something to deter us. That is the ability to do evil. Satan is our Evil Inclination (Yetzer Hara). The Evil Inclination tries to prevent us from doing good, because Hashem has commanded the Evil Inclination to do that. Why? To give us free will.

Each of us every day fights with Satan. We all have temptations, throughout the day. But we, as the Children of Israel, have the power to overcome even angels, if we work at it. Therefore, the Talmud says that men are greater than angels, for we can fight with an angel (Satan) and win.

Satan is not, as the Christians think, a rebellious angel. How impossible! The angels are spiritual and holy, without any physical or unholy presence, and the presence of Hashem's holiness permeates them entirely. Angels, unlike humans, are therefore constantly and fully aware of Hashem's Presence everywhere. Could you stay dry in the ocean? An angel could not stop being holy, and can do no wrong. There is holiness everywhere in Creation, everywhere in the universe, and angels are made of the same thing. An angel could not stop serving G-d even if he tried.

Furthermore, humans have Satan to tempt us. Angels have no Satan to tempt them. Who would be Satan's Satan? An ultra-Satan?

The truth is that Satan has a job to do, just like every other angel. And angels have no free will. They do as Hashem commands them.

A man once came to a great Rabbi, very troubled. He said to the Rabbi, "Please pray to Hashem to take away my Evil Inclination. I do so many sins, and I want to stop sinning!"

The Rabbi answered, "Then what would be your purpose in this world, if you had no Evil Inclination? Your purpose in life is to overcome your personal Evil Inclination. That is what you were created for! Hashem has enough angels in heaven. He doesn't need one more. He created you human, so that you could improve yourself."

LN_Cello 

Post No. 2288
12/20/2008 08:33 PM
  
Comments (0)

It's (again?) way too late here for heavy stuff like this, so short:

I have a lot of difficulty with the Christian concept of "Satan".

I forgot there's quite a difference in concept. Have to go back to the study room for this one.

"Sure there are some extremists, but the majority of Muslims want peace just like we do."

But the majority donot cry out loud, for crying out loud! Ayatollahs rather than condemning terrorist acts, support them. Say, for an Iranian to say he wants peace with Israel, he better flee to the West first.
Von Cello 

Post No. 2287
12/20/2008 11:44 AM
  
Comments (0)
Holy Lizards Batman!

LN, this is from Hannah's site:

- The Coming of the Messiah. In orthodox Judaism, the arrival of G-d's designated king and Torah teacher par excellence; a direct descendent of King David who will rule Israel and the nations in righteousness from Jerusalem. In basic Christianity, a second arrival of Jesus; follows the same description as Judaism except for teaching Torah. Must be redefined as the appearance of Maitreya the Christ (sic in the West, in the East his title is the Bodhisattva), who will overshadow a human host (most emphatically not a Jew this time); as the "World Teacher" and "the Head of all religions of the world" (by which time Judaism will no longer be recognized as a religion); he will restore the ancient Mysteries beginning with a Luciferic Initiation; mankind will be prepared for his coming by Master Jesus and others who will direct their disciples (including "the Church") to follow him. "A great deal of reactionary stupidity will have to be eliminated before He can come... as the new generation assert their hold over human thinking." (_Externalisation_, p.576)
- The Serpent in the Garden. In the Jewish Bible, the creature who sabotaged man's Paradise by tempting Eve to transgress G-d's command; he was justly punished for his act, as were Adam and Eve for their disobedience. In Christianity, the same, and/or Satan's first appearance in human history as tempter and deceiver, directly causing mankind to be infected with a congenital sin problem. Must be redefined as the heroic Lucifer who offered godhood to mankind in the Lemurian age; their acceptance was not a "fall" but an "ascension". The Jews hopelessly muddled the story and transmitted it as the first sin, while the Christians used the Jewish story to portray man as sinful and unworthy; both versions short-circuit the path to godhood and slander the "God of Humanity".

She is describing the theology of the New Age movement. As we can see it includes the rehabilitation of Lucifer. In fact, it seeks to switch Lucifer and the God of the Jews, making God the evil god who kicked man out of the Garden of Eden, while Lucifer (or Satan) becomes the good god who wanted to give man the knowledge of the gods.

My question is, do the new agers really believe that Lucifer is God or a god? Or do they worship him as a way to show their "emancipation" from Judeo-Christian doctrine? And when all these world leaders flash the "sign of the devil" which reason explains this?

By the way, I bet most of my Jewish friends who come here have no idea about what we are talking about. Probably the same for my Catholic friends. Most people are unaware of the growing occult movement and the future confrontation we are probably going to experience (if we are not already seeing it). The reason is because occult means hidden. You have to search to find out about this. They are not going to come to you.
Von Cello 

Post No. 2286
12/20/2008 09:09 AM
  
Comments (0)
Rainbow Swasticas oh my!

What a great post! I did check out Hannah and here is her site:

http://philologos.org/__eb-trs/

LN wrote:
But then, in Fitna, Wilders used photo- and film material that itself was beyond criticism: the demonstrations, protest marches, beheadings, terrorist killings did happen in the name of Islam.

What I hear from American liberal friends of mine is, "Sure there are some extremists, but the majority of Muslims want peace just like we do." I suppose one could have said the same thing about the Nazis or the Japanese in WW II. Most of the people in those countries also wanted peace, but a lot of good that did when the leaders took them to war. Same could even be said of the U.S. now. 80% of the country now disapproves of Bush. So what! He did whatever he wanted too and still does.

LN wrote:
How about Islam was maybe even invented by those forces!

Interesting. By that thesis I guess Mohammed must have been part of some type of Illuminati organization. Is there any evidence of this? It is hard to believe that one man could have started that whole movement. But maybe there are some men who just have extraordinary powers of persuasion. There are some in modern times we could name.

LN wrote:
I think those forces are satanic, i.e., from Satan who challenges G-d. Anyway, I fail to explain otherwise the sheer bloodthirst in all those islamic attacks the world over and the ... the greed to specifically kill Jews, wherever and whenever. Same way, despite much, much reading and thinking and questioning, I've never been able to understand nazism except for it being a satanic plan. A satanic plan to kill all the Jews = wipe out G-d's people = make His Word, the Torah and the Tenach ridiculous. G-d didnot allow that plan to be completed, but this seems a new attempt.

I have a lot of difficulty with the Christian concept of "Satan". As you probably know in Judaism Satan is considered to be a helper of God. He is God's prosecuting attorney, so to speak. He tests people but the test is for their own good, to see if they can find their way back to God. So Jews don't see Satan as challenging God. Rather he follows God's orders. Because God is one, and omniscient and omnipotent, there is no way there can be another force in the universe with any power. God has all the power. It is we who lack the understanding to see that all that God does is good.

But I have noticed through internet videos that there are Satan worshipers out there. Some say many of our leaders are such. There are many pictures of even presidents and other leaders making the "sign of the devil" with their fingers. How odd! It could be that they just make that sign the same way school kids do ... just to be cool. Or maybe they really believe that Satan had independent powers and the worship him because they are evil people. Or it could be that they believe that Satan does not really exist, and neither does God. They "worship" Satan as a way of demonstrating their independence from the domination of the Church or any other monotheistic organization. This could also explain Hitlers and the like. They don't believe there is a God or any accounting after death and therefore believe that they can do whatever they want on this planet. It is just the evil in man, nothing more or less.

I don't know. But it is interesting to ponder.
LN_Cello 

Post No. 2285
12/19/2008 09:06 PM
  
Comments (0)

Voncello wrote:

That indicates to me that the "powers that be" that are controlling the Dutch media do not want the message to be discussed or understood.
Right about most media! Add to that, apparently politicians are afraid such (open) discussion would trigger action from islamist side and would invite other muslims to say we are discriminating them. But then, in Fitna, Wilders used photo- and film material that itself was beyond criticism: the demonstrations, protest marches, beheadings, terrorist killings did happen in the name of Islam.

The trouble is, as I see it at this point, that Islam is being used by forces that exist beyond the normal order of things.

Couldnot agree more. How about Islam was maybe even invented by those forces! See how the Qur'an is a warped imitation of the Torah and the Tenach. How it pales if compared with the covenants and promises, and with precise prophecies in the Tenach, which have (or will) come true for all to see.

It is in their interests to foment struggle and diversion in the masses. What better way to do that than to, on the one hand aid fundamentalist Muslims, and on the other hand whip up a frenzy against them?

For sure those forces have an interest in slowly but surely wrecking the "normal order of things". I think those forces are satanic, i.e., from Satan who challenges G-d. Anyway, I fail to explain otherwise the sheer bloodthirst in all those islamic attacks the world over and the ... the greed to specifically kill Jews, wherever and whenever. Same way, despite much, much reading and thinking and questioning, I've never been able to understand nazism except for it being a satanic plan. A satanic plan to kill all the Jews = wipe out G-d's people = make His Word, the Torah and the Tenach ridiculous. G-d didnot allow that plan to be completed, but this seems a new attempt.

Aaron, did you ever find the time to read Hannah Newman's writings? Did anyone else (gotta look up the link later)?
Von Cello 

Post No. 2284
12/19/2008 06:45 PM
  
Comments (0)
If the shoe fitnas

LN, those were interesting links.

LN wrote:
Intrigueing is, after all these months (Fitna was released in March), still Wilders' way of bringing his message is discussed (esp. in parliament) rather than the message itself.

That indicates to me that the "powers that be" that are controlling the Dutch media do not want the message to be discussed or understood. The trouble is, as I see it at this point, that Islam is being used by forces that exist beyond the normal order of things. It is in their interests to foment struggle and diversion in the masses. What better way to do that than to, on the one hand aid fundamentalist Muslims, and on the other hand whip up a frenzy against them?
Von Cello 

Post No. 2283
12/19/2008 12:28 PM
  
Comments (0)
Good things come in threes...

They say good things come in threes ... or is that bad things ... anyway, what a great feeling to see three amazing posts. I'll answer them all in time. First, thanks Steve for that link. It is a link to the house where I grew up in Canarsie. Unfortunately there is a UPS truck in front of my house so I can't see it!

Edward, that is among the strangest requests I have ever gotten. What kind of Chanukah music do I not like or find offensive? LOL! There is so little of it out there I say the more the merrier. Chanukah Rocks is an old favorite of mine. I first heard it when I was in college myself. I have it on a cassette tape from off the radio. I like the Adam Sandler Chanukah songs. A young student first turned me on to those about ten years ago. It seems that we are finally getting more songs out there probably due to the on line music revolution. The people have risen up to do what the corporations never allowed. The corporations were making so much money from the Christmas stuff that they didn't see any profit in producing Chanukah music.

The funny thing is, many of the best loved Christmas songs were written by Jews. Everything from Hark I Hear the Angels Sing (Felix Mendelssohn, who actually was raised Christian), to I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas (Irving Berlin) and the Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting on an Open Fire by Mel Torme), The list goes on and on. I hate to say it, but these Jews saw an opportunity to make money and went for it! But then again, I saw a show on the History Channel about how Christmas in reality is much more than the birthday of Christ. Not to belittle that part of it, because surely that is the main part of it for many people, but the show pointed out that there are many parts of the larger "Christmas" that have nothing to do with Jesus. Here are some things they pointed out, Santa, Evergreen Trees, Egg Nog, Drinking, Getting together with the family, Hallmark Cards, Shopping, the songs (many secular in nature), Caroling, etc. Of course you could say that many of those things are Christian but if you think about it ... Jesus was born in the desert like environment of Israel. There were no evergreen trees, no Santa on a sled, no Egg Nog, no Hallmark cards, no caroling. This is all Euro-American inventions. Well, actually the tree goes back to pagan Euorpe. And now we add in Chaunkah music, Kwanzaa, and even atheists putting up anti-God signs next to kresches (sp?) in Arizona (or wherever that happened this year), and you see it is morphing into a general "Holiday" time for everyone. But I digress...

Edward, it would be great for me, and maybe for you, and hopefully for others who come here, if you would post some links to some of the interesting songs you uncover. I'll be happy to chime in with my opinion. In the meantime have a Merry ChrismaChanukwanzatheisttreehugeggnog and a Happy New Year!
eaburke81 

Post No. 2282
12/18/2008 11:06 PM
Email eaburke81  go to the Homepage of eaburke81
Comments (0)
Been a long time, but I could use your help

Hello Aaron and all on the V.C. guestbook here - Edward from WWPV. It has been a long time since I posted anything here but I come back to the guestbook with a favor to ask of you, and it has a particular holiday flair to it. I am currently looking to expand WWPV's selection of music for Hanukkah so I can accommodate my listeners around who may not be Christian during the holidays. I come to you with a question which should help guide my search: what material would you as a Jew find offensive in terms of music for Hanukkah or other Jewish holidays? Are there any specific genres in which you would not want to hear traditional and original music for Hanukkah? I guess I'm looking for you to tell me what you would NOT want to hear so I can weed that out and pick up the good stuff. (I am looking mainly at CDBaby's stock, searching under the word "Jewish").
Maybe you should know the Station already has a few albums by Jewish reggae singer Matisyahu, plus Jewish rock group The Leevees with "Hanukkah Rocks", and another Jewish reggae outfit by the name of Adonai and I. In my own collection I have two Hanukkah compilations: "This is Chanukkah" and "A Chanukkah Celebration".

Can you help a gentile out here?

I hope everyone's well, and that your holidays are merry how ever you celebrate. In turn, I wish you a successful, prosperous, happy and healthy New Year. We've got a new president, so maybe with that will bring a new economy, and a new respect for America around the world. Time will tell.

Happy Holidays all,

Edward Burke AKA DJ Seamus
"Shillelagh Safari"
Fridays 5-8pm E.S.T
WWPV 88.7-Fm "The Mike"
broadcasting on-line @ http://www.wwpv.org.

P.S. I've got a profile on Facebook.com - Stop on by and say hi sometime.
LN_Cello 

Post No. 2281
12/18/2008 06:52 PM
  
Comments (0)
Fitna - by Dutch MP Geert Wilders

Oh yes, sure I saw it, in fact its expected and feared aftermath (that didnot materialise) was just discussed some days ago in a TV program, as our "national coordinator terrorism-fighting" is on his way out of office.
Intrigueing is, after all these months (Fitna was released in March), still Wilders' way of bringing his message is discussed (esp. in parliament) rather than the message itself.

I've just read up on Moslims who left their faith and became atheist or christian (an extremely bold decision for those in living a moslim country), a.o. here:
Ali Sina - Why he left Islam
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Articles/sina/frombelief.htm and
The testimony of a former convert to Islam
http://www.faithfreedom.org/Testimonials/Abdulquddus.htm and
A former professor of Islamic history who became a christian
http://www.arabicbible.com/testimonies/gabriel.htm . Studying this and the related question "Is the God of Abraham, Yitschak and Ya'acov the same as Allah?" (for sure not) and, for that matter, why half of the US citizens are so happy with Obama - has kept me from stopping by here.
canarsie 

Post No. 2280
12/18/2008 03:30 PM
  
Comments (0)
the time machime

[URL=http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=40.640269,-73.917197&spn=0,359.998283&t=h&z=20&layer=c&cbll=40.640065,-73.91703&panoid=iq-Esfpy9pfPEj-BoUDjeg&cbp=12,54.57763100582605,,0,1.6431694432833894]foto[/URL]

Back to Top

 
Home | About Von Cello | Upcoming Gigs | Recordings | Compositions | Store
E-Mail List | Interact | Video Clips | Pictures | Links | Trademark | Musicians Only

Von Cello is incorporated in the United States of America. This web site and all its content is copyrighted. All Rights Reserved. Unauthorized duplication is a violation of applicable law.
Click here for copyright, terms of usage, and legal statements.